The Southeast Asia Tobacco Control Alliance (SEATCA) is looking for a motivated and competent Tobacco Tax Program Officer.
Closing date for applications: 10 February 2023
Summary of position offered: The Tobacco Tax Program Officer is primarily responsible for the development and coordination of SEATCA’s work to support tobacco tax policy development and implementation in line with the WHO Framework Convention on Tobacco Control (FCTC), particularly Article 6 and its implementing guidelines.
Time allocation: Full-time
Location: any ASEAN country
Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop and coordinate SEATCA’s tobacco tax program, including annual work plans and reports, regional activities, and national-level technical support
- Provide and facilitate technical and other support for tax policy development and implementation, in collaboration with other relevant SEATCA staff in relation to tobacco industry interference, sustainable financing for tobacco control, illicit tobacco trade, and tobacco product packaging and labeling.
- Develop, update, and promote evidence-based tobacco tax publications and other technical resources in collaboration with other relevant SEATCA staff and external experts
- Monitor tax-related global developments to inform the work of SEATCA and country partners
- Represent SEATCA on tobacco tax-related matters, including as liaison with governments, intergovernmental organizations, and civil society at the country and international level
- Participate in project monitoring and evaluation as determined by the Monitoring and Evaluation Manager
- Other tasks assigned by the Executive Director
- University degree, preferably with experience in health economics, public health, or public policy.
- Expertise in tobacco taxation is essential, with at least 3 years in this field.
- Skills should include technical writing, public speaking, and policy and media advocacy.
- Excellent writing and speaking proficiency in English and at least one ASEAN language
- Proactive and self-motivated with a proven ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail; able to prepare timely reports
- Ability to meet tight deadlines
- Commitment to the objectives of the organization.
- Has never been employed by, received any support from, or had any interests in the tobacco industry or affiliated industries (also applies to the applicant’s first-degree relatives)
Working Conditions / Salary and Benefits
The Tobacco Tax Program Officer will be based in an ASEAN country. Please note that SEATCA does not cover relocation costs.
SEATCA offers a competitive local salary package with health benefits. An initial contract will be for 12 months, with a three-month probationary period and opportunity to renew on an annual basis.
How to apply
Deadline for applications: 10 February 2023. We will review applications as they come in and may consider selecting a shortlisted applicant before the deadline, so we welcome early applications.
Interested applicants should send (1) a letter of interest with (2) your CV/resume, (3) salary history, and (4) contact details of three (3) referees, to email@example.com with the subject heading “Applicant: Tobacco Tax Program Officer”.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interview. All decisions are final. The successful candidate will be notified by 15 February and is expected to begin work no later than 1 March 2023.
SEATCA is an equal opportunity employer, committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce and encourages qualified candidates of all nationalities and backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply.