Campaigning to increase/dedicated tax
- Key campaign strategies
- Identify a campaign leader
- Organize a coalition of supporters
- Establish an evidence base
- Assess public opinion
- Plan an extensive public awareness campaign
- Prepare draft legislation
Successful lobbying and advocacy for change
- Case study: Victorian
- Letter-writing campaign
- Present a consistent, evidence-based rationale that is persuasive for decision-makers.
- Specify the financing mechanism and use of the funds.
- Pay close attention to implementation.
- Form partnerships in all sectors of society for the establishment of an earmarked fund and to counter opposition.
- Build strong political support, and use political champions.
- Be patient and persistent, and identify opportunities for policy change.
- Think globally while acting locally.
Key steps to success