The Tobacco Control Database for the WHO European Region is a web based information system containing country-specific data in three key areas of tobacco control:
- Prevalence of tobacco use;
- Tobacco control policy and legislation, and
- Status of implementation of the WHO Framework Convention on Tobacco Control (WHO FCTC) in the WHO European Region.
The database provides an assessment of the tobacco-related situation within countries to policy-makers, tobacco control advocates, researchers, media and general public, enabling users to transform data to action. Member States can evaluate their situation in the light of other country experiences and use it to strengthen their own policies and interventions to reduce tobacco use.
The new version of the WHO Tobacco Control Database focuses on legislation relating to tobacco advertising, promotion and sponsorship and on legislation related to protection from exposure to tobacco smoke.
Use the database to browse and explore tobacco control laws and to view the prevalence of tobacco use in the countries of the WHO European Region. For example:
- View smoking prevalence among adults and youth over the years, as well as a summary of key policy milestones;
- Get a quick overview of the legislation relating to tobacco advertising, promotion and sponsorship and protection from exposure to tobacco smoke in each country;
- Compare laws from up to three countries side by side;
- Download the full text of laws for each country in the original language and the English translation (both upon availability);
- Identify leading countries in the Region within specific WHO FCTC measures.