28 March: The first HealthJustice awards ceremony was held today in Quezon City, to recognize outstanding initiatives and efforts of government agencies and officials, individuals and other organizations in protecting public health policies from tobacco industry interference.
HealthJustice Philippines, a public health policy NGO, shares the internationally prestigious Global Tobacco Control Award they received from New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg of Bloomberg Philanthropies with distinguished organizations and individuals leading the fight against the tobacco epidemic.
Recognized for monitoring the tobacco industry, HealthJustice in turn gives credit to the outstanding local initiatives to protect public health policies from the influence of the tobacco industry.
The awardees were:
• The Department of Health (DOH)
• The Food and Drug Administration (FDA)
• The Metro Manila Development Authority (MMDA)
• The Department of Education (DepEd)
• The Civil Service Commission (CSC)
• The Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board (LTFRB)
• The Commission on Higher Education (CHED)
• The Department of Science and Technology (DOST)
• The Civil Service Commission Regional Office V
• The DOH Center for Health Development V
The Local Government of Capiz
• The Local Government of Balanga
• Bandila ABS-CBN for “Tobacco company behind smoking ban complaint?” report by Gretchen Malalad
• Senator Pia Cayetano
• Cito Beltran of Philippine Star
SEATCA was also given special recognition for “Outstanding contribution to countering tobacco industry interference in the Philippines.”
|Atty. Emilio Polig of the Food and Drug Administration receives their award from
Dr. DAniel Tan, President of HealthJustice
|Awardees doing the “Time’s Up, Tobacco!”||Special recognition to SEATCA|