Call for job applicants:
The Southeast Asia Tobacco Control Alliance (SEATCA) is looking for a motivated and competent Tobacco Industry Denormalization Officer.
Closing date for applications: 21 January 2022
Summary of position offered: The Tobacco Industry Denormalization (TID) Officer will lead and coordinate SEATCA’s TID Program, including the achievement of a comprehensive ban on tobacco advertising, promotion, and sponsorship (TAPS) and monitoring and addressing tobacco industry (TI) interference in line with Articles 5.3 and 13 of the WHO Framework Convention on Tobacco Control (FCTC). Given the cross-cutting nature of industry interference, he/she will work across all other SEATCA work programs, in order to bring about change in awareness, attitudes, behaviors, and policies towards denormalizing the tobacco industry and tobacco use.
Time allocation: Full-time
Location: Any ASEAN country
Duties and Responsibilities
- TI monitoring (TIM) using the media and industry reports, as well as coordination and assistance to country TIM teams
- Develop and implement TAPS ban and TID advocacy action at regional level, including development and dissemination of TID materials and implementation of regional TID campaigns activities
- Lead author of SEATCA publications relevant to FCTC Articles 3 and 13
- Work with country partners to support implementation and enforcement of Articles 3 and 13
- Coordinate and provide ad hoc technical support from SEATCA to country partners to respond to TI interference
- Share with country partners global lessons learned on TAPS ban with the aim of strengthening the tobacco control law and/or improving enforcement
- Maintain and improve TID websites (tobaccowatch.seatca.org and www.timonitor.seatca.org)
- Prepare and disseminate regular TIM/TID newsletters
- Other tasks assigned by the Executive Director
- University degree, preferably related to public health or public policy
- Experience in public campaigning is
- Basic knowledge in tobacco control is
- Skills should include project/event planning and management and documentation, public engagement, campaigning, and technical and journalistic writing.
- Excellent writing and speaking proficiency in English and at least one ASEAN language
- Proactive and self-motivated with a proven ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail; able to prepare timely reports
- Ability to meet tight deadlines
- Commitment to the objectives of the
- Has never been employed by, received any support from, or had any interests in the tobacco industry or affiliated industries (This also applies to the applicant’s first-degree relatives.)
Working Conditions / Salary and Benefits
The Tobacco Industry Denormalization Officer will be based in an ASEAN country. Please note that SEATCA does not cover relocation costs.
SEATCA offers a competitive local salary package with health benefits. An initial contract will be for 12 months, with a three-month probationary period and opportunity to renew on an annual basis.
How to apply
Deadline for applications: 21 January 2022. We will review applications as they come in and may consider selecting a shortlisted applicant before the deadline, so we welcome early applications.
Interested applicants should send (1) a letter of interest with (2) your CV/resume, (3) salary history, and (4) contact details of three (3) referees, to email@example.com with the subject heading “Applicant: TID Officer”. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interview. All decisions are final.
SEATCA is an equal opportunity employer, committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce and encourages qualified candidates of all nationalities and backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply.
The successful candidate will be notified by 28 January 2022 and is expected to begin work no later than 15 February 2022.